Save a Cat on Facebook

     

Friday, September 3, 2010

Goodbye Earl! Next time don't stay so long and leave your friends behind!

It's now Friday Sept 3rd and Earl, Hurricane Earl that is, has moved away.  We were a bit worried when they upgraded the category to a 4 - that's a really bad assed storm! I had the phone numbers of hotels in the RDU area on hand just in case we headed out.

 Wonderful relief that by 2am this morning, it was down to a category 2!  That's nothing to worry about.  Flooding is more of a concern at that level for us.  We've lived here around 30 yrs, most of our lives have been spent here - this is home, northerners by birth - southerners by choice.  Damn Yankees as they once called us when we first got here.  You see there are Yankees and Damn Yankees - Yankees are northerners that come down here to visit then leave, Damn Yankees are northerners that come down here and stay! But our voices and behaviours have changed enough in 30 yrs that we're taken for locals now and that's how I've felt in my heart since I got here. Only change I'd make and we'll make that change in the future is we want to move off the coast and up into the mountains once JP retires from his current job.  So, after all that time we know what to do and when to worry.

Always stay prepared from June to November down here - that's hurricane season.  Yup unlike other folks who have 4 seasons, we have 5.  But I do love North Carolina and would never ever even consider living in the north again.  Being a part of the south is in my bones and my heart! God Bless the South!!


Thank God JP had retired from USMC and gets a nice retirement check and he works on base and makes good money otherwise we'd be in the streets - well I would... He's a wonderful man - always helpful and kind - never argues or fights with me.  I believe we've only  had 1 argument since we married - I can't remember any before we got married either so we've a good track record.  As I said, we're each others halves we fit together perfectly.

It was nice having JP home yesterday - the base decided not to risk things and gave them all the day off with pay of course.  Civil Service has it's benefits.  = )  But he's back to work today - at least it's a long holiday weekend so we'll get three whole days together!!  Normally he only has one day off each week, Sunday. Thank goodness they have a think against working overtime on a Sunday or we'd not get to spend much time together.  In a way it works out well that I don't work outside the home - we get to spend all his at home time together.   We're pretty much joined at the hip.  Seeing as we'll both turn 50 this winter we need to be joined just to hold each other up!  LOL
JP and I have lived in the area since 1980, well I have since that's when the Navy stationed me here.  But JP was stationed here in 1978 I believe.  Me in Aviation, I was an Aviation Storekeeper something that the Navy has done away with and JP is composite/metal repair on Harriers back then.  It was only a matter of time before we'd finally meet.  Then Dec 22 1984 some mutual friends invited us both over to visit and play cards.  From there it's history - we were engaged Feb 14, 1985 and married Aug 30, 1985 at 8:30pm.  Easy to remember the time since it matched the date.  We still joke about that to this day.

So anyone with a calendar can tell that we just celebrated our Silver (25th) Wedding Anniversary!!  I'm very lucky to have him in my life.  Through all the years he's the only man I can really trust!  Every other one I met betrayed me in some way, shape or form.  But in all theses years JP has never lied to me or been unfaithful or been the type that who'd rather spend time away from me than with me.  He's my other half!  There was a time things got rocky for us and we did separate for a few years but even separated we talked everyday and saw each other often - even dated each other.  = )  It didn't take me too long to realize that no matter the problem we had we were much better together than apart.  I regret the changes all that made to our lives - apart my health got worse and we had to sell our beautiful big house and well lets just say our lives went to hell in a hand basket! Now with me out of work because of my health and unable to get a steady doctor to help me and support my claim for disability I bring no money home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment